Karen Yin graduated from top law schools in China and the United States. She received her Bachelor of Law from China University of Political Science and Law in 1998 and her Lawyer’s Qualification of the People’s Republic of China in 2001. Ms. Yin later obtained her Master of Laws (LLM) from New York University School of Law in 2008 and became licensed to practice law in New York and Texas in 2009 and 2018 respectively.
Ms. Yin is familiar with Chinese and American laws, as well as fluent in both English and Chinese. She has more than ten years of experience in legal work with multinational companies and law firms in Beijing and Houston, including serving as a legal consultant for world-renowned oil companies such as China National Petroleum Corporation Co., Ltd., Shell (China) Ltd., and Shell Oil Company. Her work includes business transactions, contracts, intellectual property rights, and immigration, to name a few.
Ms. Yin’s agile thinking, quick analysis, and responsible attitude enable her to work successfully with clients. While at Shell Oil Company, she reviewed, drafted, and negotiated business contracts, such as those for sales, procurement, and employment. She also issued legal opinions regarding the company’s intellectual property, including trade secrets, technology licensing, joint research and development, trademarks, and copyrights. At Shell (China) Ltd., she provided legal support for the company’s daily operations in the Asia-Pacific region related to technology business and advised the client on corporate legal matters, such as legal entity setup, and corporate governance.
Professional licenses and certifications
- Texas State License, 2018
- New York State License, 2009
- Lawyer Qualification of the People’s Republic of China, 2001
- LLM, New York University School of Law, 2008
- Doctor of Law, China University of Political Science and Law, 2004
- Bachelor of Law, China University of Political Science and Law, 1998
Key areas of practice
- International trade, general business and commerce
- Contract drafting, review and negotiation
- Trademark and copyright review and registration